Thursday, April 8, 2010

Big Boy Underwear!

Denver is potty trained!!!!!  I never thought I was going to be able to blog about my potty trained boy...at least not until he was 3, but he surprised us!  Evan had encouraged me to try getting Denver into underwear and several times I had sort of tried, but every time I was conquered quickly and just didn't have the energy to work on it.  I'm not sure what all happened, but it was really pretty easy.  We told Denver if he wanted to go fishing with Daddy this summer he was going to have to wear big boy underwear.  Every time I had tried to take Denver to the bath room in the morning prior to this he would throw a fit.  The first morning after being told it was time if he wanted to go fishing with Daddy he started to get upset and I quickly grabbed a fishing magazine of Evan's and said, but "look at these fish and what you could catch with Daddy if you are a big boy" and he immediately sat down and went.  He had several accidents, but not many and when he did he typically got very upset at himself.  We did con him with treats for going though and Denver seemed to figure that one out.  He seemed to go running every time he had the slightest urge and we felt he was getting a "sugar high".  So I tried taking the treats away and said he had to go number 2 if he wanted them, but then we had some regression, but that also went along with wearing a pull up instead of underwear on Easter and being out of his routine so not sure if it was from not getting treats or not.  I went back to giving him treats, but only if he asks and we're back on track.  We're still struggling with going #2 on the potty though.  I thought that part was going to be easy as he had done that more than #1 prior to this, but he hasn't done this much since we've gone to underwear.  Instead he goes and hides and leaves a mess for us to clean up.  Any advice to help him with this would be greatly appreciated!



Showing off his big boy underwear.

So proud!

As long as I'm updating on Denver anyway I figured I should tell you a little more of his "learnings" as of lately.  Denver now counts to 10 very well by himself.  He never would really count very far, especially on his own, but now he LOVES to play hide and seek and after hearing us count to 10 so many times he does it quite often without us even asking him to.  Denver's ability to form complete sentences has grown exponentially.  He blows us away with what he comes up with and says.  We can tell he really understands us and what's going on.  Tonight he asked if I was going to work.  I said no and he went on to say "you go to work and take care of babies" and he always talks about Daddy going to "Marvs" and fixing cars.  Denver continues to be CRAZY about the farm!  He wants to go to the farm every day and wants to do chores.  Denver has become very bossy and when Grandma came the other night he pretty much told her he was going to the farm with her and he was going to go ride in the tractor....too bad if she didn't agree, it was happening! :) 

Denver has a fear of insects and band-aids.  I was upstairs and Denver was down stairs playing when I heard a shreak and went running.  There was a bug...that's it...they don't have to be bothering him, he just has to be able to see them and he flips out.  I've never been able to get a band-aid on Denver either.  Every time we put one on he cries and cries and we end up taking it off.  On Easter he pinched his finger and took skin off.  This finger seriously needs a band-aid and some "magic sauve", but he gets so upset when we even bring the subject up...he'd rather have pain than a fun colored band-aid!

I know there's more, but that's what comes to mind right now.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Good Job Denver! Olivia also refuses to wear bandaids. One day she had to get her finger poked for labs, and the lab tech took forever trying to perfectly wrap the bandaid on as Liv is kicking and screaming. The minute the lab tech got the bandaid on and let go of Olivia's finger, Olivia ripped it off as fast as she could and threw it on the floor. Ha! I will never forget the look on the poor lady's face :)