Monday, April 20, 2009

Generation to generation...

Not sure that I picked the best title for this blog, but my creative mind is no more. Let's hope it comes back when the baby arrives! :) I didn't plan to do a blog on this, but the other day I got to thinking about it and thought maybe I should. Sorry, no pictures of Denver or anything about him....it's about boring me and my family! After Christmas, Evan asked me what I was going to spend my Christmas money on. When he asked me I knew I had thought of something, but couldn't remember what; well I finally remembered and I think Evan may wish he never asked me. I wanted a sewing machine! I bought one and have had tons of fun using it and remembering my sewing skills that mostly my Grandma Betty taught me (but some from my mom as well and maybe my Grandma Waltner too, I'm not sure). Once I got going I wanted to do lots of things for our little girl. One being large flannel blankets to wrap her in, unlike the little ones in the store! A boy I take care of in the NICU has lots of "homemade" blankets and I had always been intrigued by the edging/sewing on one and started asking questions. Then when I was home one day we got to talking about Grandma Betty's serger sewing machine and then I discovered I could make those blankets I wanted too. Mom helped me hunt down the serger and then my sister helped me figure out how to use it. The figuring out how to use it was quite the experience. We believe that Grandma Betty was watching and laughing at us struggle to figure out how to use this silly machine and how we (well, I guess "I") made it all the harder to figure out. Eventually we got it all figured out and our little girl ended up with 4 additional blankies!
Here I'm trying to get the machine threaded. Little did I know I shouldn't have unthreaded the machine with Grandma's thread, but cut the thread at the top and tie my new thread in knots to the old and let it run through the machine! NOW I KNOW and am not scared to change thread anymore.

Here are 3 of the 4 finished products. The other one is packed away in the diaper bag for the hospital so this will have to do.

2 comments:

Carlson Family said...

Next time you need help with the serger just send it to work with Evan. Justin will get it threaded for you. I can never get the darn thing to thread correctly but he can always get it. :)

Anonymous said...

Mindy, they also have a class at HeirloomCreations on how to use and care for your serger. I just took it in April to learn how to use my serger and it was very helpful! Joy