Thursday, February 26, 2009

Potty Training? And lots more!

Are we crazy?!?! No, we're not crazy. We aren't really, truly potty training....we're just being prepared. A friend of ours who has a little girl 10 days older than Denver happened to go on the potty chair so Daddy said it's time to buy one! I refuse to clean out a potty chair and try to find a place to store one (or walk around one as our bathroom is too little the way it is), so I bought a seat that fits on top of the toilet. It has Sesame Street characters on it and for those of you who know Denver well, he LOVES Elmo, so he was super excited to see Elmo on the potty seat. Every once in a while we'll pull the seat out and let Denver sit on it. He thinks he's pretty cool sitting on the toilet, but hasn't figured out what to do yet, which is just fine with us. We don't want our little boy to grow up any faster than he already is on his own without any encouragement from us. (Any tips or hints you have about potty training for when we truly are serious about this we'd appreciate! You can email me or leave a COMMENT.)
We also had permission at Denver's 15 month appointment to turn his car seat around! The car seat in Daddy's pickup doesn't face backwards so he has had some rides facing forward prior to this, but now he gets to ride forward facing all the time. Denver loves watching the cars go by and I love the fact that I can actually see him and what he's doing now!

Denver got a big boy hair cut last Saturday. It's his first real short haircut (that was cut this short purposefully anyway....we did have that one in August that was shorter too, I guess). He looks like such a big boy with his hair cut like this. It's made me realize how much his little face has changed.

Denver has returned to being a Daddy's boy. He loves spending time with his Dad and would much rather listen to Daddy read him his books at night than Mommy. This has been a bit of a tough transition for me. I appreciate the time I can go get stuff done without someone hanging on my leg, wanting up to see what I'm doing, but especially after I get home from working a 12 hour shift I've missed my little guy and just want to snuggle.

Denver continues to like to clean and got into the Swiffer this past weekend. He found the button that sprays the cleaner and he made a mess! The little stinker. I can't wait until he knows how to "truly clean" and be our good little helper.

Denver got to spend some more time with his cousin Jacob this past weekend. He continues to love him and want to love on him, but he was not interested in taking pictures with him. We'll just pretend we didn't want them looking AT the camera. :)

All BOY! Denver is definitely all boy. He continues to find my potted plant that always gets neglected and some how is still alive. He has started taking his little shovel for the beach and trying to shovel the dirt out. After being told "no" he usually listens and goes on with things so after it happened today I expected to turn back around and see him playing with something else, but instead I saw him EATING dirt! (Oh what fun are we going to have this summer!) To top it off Denver and I had just taken a shower...at least there's not enough dirt that he didn't get real dirty. As you can see in the picture we need to invest in a bigger robe!

Also, just wanted to update all of you on Jovie. She's doing amazing thanks to all of the prayers she's received. She has finally been able to eat. This is huge as she never was able to eat before. Things are going so well that it looks like she'll be discharged from the hospital next weekend (not this weekend) and will stay in Pittsburgh where she can continue to see a feeding specialist (although she's been doing so well with and couldn't get enough orange sherbet!) and any other docs that she needs before she can return home again. Thank you for all of your prayers! Our God is so good!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Potty training...I'll take any advice too! Olivia was more interested in the potty chair at Denver's age than she is now, a year later! We're not pushing the issue, but would love to be done with diapers :)

Cadi + 4 said...

The best advice I can tell you about potty training is that every kid is different and has their own pace. You just have to go with the flow. Also, someone told me that when your child is FINALLY potty trained you will feel like you climbed mount everest. That's totally true. Good luck!!